A few years ago I bought this from ebay. It was advertised as possibly having been made for the TV series. The seller (who lived near Gloucestershire) pointed out that one of the motels used during filming was based not far from where they lived - and suggested that this might explain how and why it was found in the area.
The question remains as to whether it is real or fake - or indeed whether it really does have a connection to the programme at all. The sign is painted on hardboard, which has been attached to a solid wood base. There are two metal brackets that can be used to "hook" the sign into position.
So what do you think? Real or Fake?
The case for:
- The wording on the sign "Crossroads Motel"
- The fact that it would have been easy to lift into position on location (and remove)
- The age of the sign
- It appears to be made from non-water resistant paint - more for looks than effectiveness.
The case against:
- It isn't marked as ATV / Central scenery in any way
- There are other "real life" motels with this name
- It doesn't appear in any existing episodes (although there are many from 1979-1981 that I have not seen)